Google Docs is a free online service that lets users create and edit documents and even work together on them. It is like Microsoft Office Word in the cloud.
Because of this, many people prefer to use Google Docs to manage their documents.
But what if you accidentally deleted a Google Doc and want it back?
Is it possible to get back a recently deleted Google Doc or is there a way to get back a Google Doc that has been deleted for good after 30 days? We have, yes.
Is It Possible to Recover Deleted Google Docs?
After 30 days, it is possible to recover both recently deleted and permanently erased Google Docs.
Google Docs you recently deleted will be preserved in the Trash folder for 30 days, and you can retrieve them at any time. If you did not use the “Delete Forever” option, you may not be able to recover them.
Using a data recovery programme, you can retrieve permanently deleted Google Docs that have been in the Trash bin for 30 days if you have a backup or previously saved the Google Docs on your computer offline.
Deleted Google Docs: Where Can I Find Them to restore?
Google Docs can still be accessed even after they are deleted permanently. It is possible to retrieve your Google Docs from Google Drive’s trash bin within a period of 30 days.
- logged in to Google account .
- A link to Google Drive will appear when you click on the Drive icon.
- Select Trash from the menu.
- RestoreDocs can be accessed by right-clicking the newly deleted Google Docs in Trash and choosing RestoreDocs from the context menu.
- You can find the recovered Google Docs by going back to My Drive.
Can I restore my Google Docs if they have been permanently deleted 30 days ago?
Google Docs cannot be permanently recovered from Google Drive, but they can be retrieved from backups or offline copies since they were created or updated locally before uploading them to Google Drive.
In this instance, there are three ways to retrieve completely lost Google Docs on a Mac or Windows computer.
#1 How to recover data using Cisdem (Mac and Windows)
Cisdem Data Recovery is a program that can get back files that have been deleted for good from an internal or external hard drive. If you saved a Google Doc on your hard drive, Cisdem can get it back.
It doesn’t matter if it was on a Windows, Mac, SD card, USB drive, or other storage devices.
Cisdem Data Recovery can get back more than 200 different types of files, including video, ebook, photo, archive,audio, document, etc. It can also get back permanently deleted Google Docs. It can list the name of the file and how big it is.
Users can also preview documents before they are recovered.
Main Features of Cisdem Data Recovery
- It is possible to recover deleted files, formatted files, and lost files that have been recently or permanently deleted
- Easily restore 200+ file types, including documents, ebooks, videos, audios, archives, images, etc.
- Scanning quickly and deeply
- By using the filter tool, you can search for specific files based on keyword, file size, date created, and date modified
- You should preview your files before recovering them
- Using Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, pCloud, Box, you can recover files locally or in the cloud.
What Should I Do if Google Docs are Permanently Deleted?
- Cisdem Data Recovery can be downloaded and installed.
- You can recover Google Docs files from your deleted hard drive by going to Disk Data Recovery.
- Scan can be started by clicking Scan. Using the filter tool will help you find Google Docs faster.
- If you want to restore the Google Docs files to the local drive or cloud, you can preview the files and select them.
- How to Download Instagram Reels, IGTVs, and Videos on Your Phone
- The Definitive Guide To Website Builder
- List Top Best SSH Hosting Provider
- What is the Dark Web and how does it work
#2 Creating a Time Machine (on MacOS)
You can also use the backup programme Time Machine to get back permanently deleted Google Docs on a Mac if you have set it up to handle your data regularly.
Time Machine is used to back up the files on your Mac’s internal disc to an external storage device. Once it’s set up, it will back up your files automatically on a set schedule.
It can also bring back a file that you accidentally deleted by giving you a copy of the file that was deleted before it was deleted.
What is the best method to recover permanently deleted Google Docs using Time Machine?
- Start Time Machine by selecting the Applications menu item and then Time Machine.
- To recover erased Google Docs on a Mac, select Documents > Find > or search.
- To recover deleted Google Docs, use the Timeline by using the Space bar to explore different versions.
- Next, select Restore to bring back an erased Google Docs file on your Mac.
#3 Using File History (on Windows)
The Windows built-in backup program File History works the same way as Time Machine on the Mac, it helps recover permanently deleted files if you enable it.
In the case that you have permanently deleted your Google Docs on Windows, what should you do?
- Hit Enter after you open the Start menu and enter the command “restore files”.
- Locate the Google documents in the folder where you saved them.
- If you want to recover Google Docs permanently deleted from a Windows computer, click on the Restore button
Extended: Restore Previous Version of Google Docs
With Google Docs, you can also see version history and are allowed to restore the previous version of a Google Docs, the steps are easy as follows.
- Create a Google Account and log in.
- Using Google Docs, open a document on Google Drive.
- See the version history by going to File>Version history.
- Click on the three dots button next to the version you want to restore and choose Restore this version.
Google Docs that have been deleted can be restored in Google Drive by “putting back” items in the Trash folder.
In addition, if you have a backup copy of the Google Docs file or if you already saved the file on your Mac, Windows, or other storage device, you can still access the file.
In conclusion, it is always a good idea to back up files in case of data loss.