Internet Explorer (IE) is the most widely used World Wide Web browser. Launched in 1995, by Microsoft, it is one of the first graphical-based Web browsers. With time, a lot of up-gradation has been made on Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer 11 is a big step forward for the default Windows system browser. IE 11 has the capability to compete with the most popular browsers, like Chrome, Firefox or Safari.
However, Microsoft has discontinued all versions of Internet Explorer other than the recent version for its still-supported operating systems. Moreover, with a lot of other popular browsers gaining momentum, the question that surfaces is that how to uninstall Internet Explorer. But before that, you should be knowing, in practical terms it is:
- Windows 8.1: Internet Explorer 11
- Windows 7 SP1: Internet Explorer 11
Now, whenever a new version of Internet Explorer was launched, it is but obvious that people tend to delete the previous one. Today, in most of the systems we have Internet Explorer 11 and removing it involves a very different process. Before discussing the removal process, take a look at how to install Internet Explorer:
Installing Internet Explorer
There are two ways via which you can install the Internet Explorer:
- Download from the official web-page of Internet Explorer 11.
- The second one is based on the Windows update.
The first method is simple and is clear from the heading only. Take a look at the steps for the second one:
- Navigate to “Control Panel – > System and Security – > Windows Update”, or just type “windows update” in the Start Menu search box.
- Click on “Check for the latest updates.” In the list of Optional Updates, you will see one that says Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7. Select it and then click OK.
- Next, click on the Install updates button, for the installation to start.
- The installation process will begin, and then restart your computer to finish the whole process.
- Once this is done, the Internet Explorer 11 shortcut will be placed in your Taskbar.
Now, take a look at the process of getting rid of Internet Explorer 11 in Windows.
How to Uninstall Internet Explorer from Windows
Now, usually in order to delete any installed program out of your computer, the process followed is “Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features, then choose the selected program and click on Uninstall.” But, as far as Internet Explorer is concerned, the case is different. Microsoft has classified this browser as a Windows Feature. Take a look at How to Remove Internet Explorer from Windows:
- Navigate to “Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features”. Then, in the column on the left, click on “Turn Windows features on or off”.
- The Windows Features window opens up. Just, scroll down to find the entry for Internet Explorer. Uncheck it and press OK.
- A warning will appear, stating “Turning off Internet Explorer might affect other Windows features and programs installed on your computer, including default settings”. Click, Yes to continue.
- There appears that Windows needs to reboot your PC. Just, Click on Restart now. Remember, to lose any unsaved work of yours.
- And when you restart your system, the Internet Explorer will be removed.
However, this doesn’t completely remove all traces of Internet Explorer as other programs and processes rely on its rendering engine. This process is applicable for Windows 7 and the same goes for Windows 10, too.
Removing Internet Explorer from Windows 8
There is a slight change in the process of removing Internet Explorer, from Windows 8. Let’s see, How to Uninstall IE11 from Windows 8:
- Simply in the Search button, enter “Windows features” in the search box, click the Settings option located on the right side of the screen, and select “Turn Windows Features on or off.”
- The slight change is that, if prompted, you need to enter your administrator password to progress.
- Once you have entered the password, Window features screen opens up, just uncheck the box to the left of Internet Explorer, and then click OK. Now, click Yes to confirm that you want to hide Internet Explorer.
Now, click Restart Now to apply the changes, and you are done.
In case you want IE 11 back on your system, simply access this same screen again and check this box, and Press Ok.
Remove Internet Explorer from MAC
Till 2003, Macintosh computers came pre-loaded with Microsoft’s Internet Explorer web browser. Now, Apple features a lot of superior options like Safari and the operating system. Still, some people, due to a habit or for some old flames, Internet Explorer still remains the browser, even on the MAC.
Now, for some reason, in case you want to delete Internet Explorer from MAC, you need to follow the enlisted process. However, Internet Explorer for Mac does not create a “Preference” file, so you only need to delete the main application file. Take a look at the steps:
- Click on the Internet Explorer icon in the “Applications” folder.
- Drag the file to the Trash in the Dock. As the Trash icon darkens, just drop the file in the Trash.
- Go to the “Finder” menu and select “Erase.”
- A pop- up window appears, just confirm the selection.
Closing the updates
Even after uninstalling the Internet Explorer from your system, you may continue to receive notifications. Getting frequent notifications to update the older version, can be annoying. Now, if you want to shut these notifications too, follow the steps:
- Go to Control Panel and click on System and Security.
- Then click on Windows Update and click Change Settings in the left pane.
- Under Important updates, click the drop-down menu box. It says Install updates automatically.
- Select and click on Download but let me choose which updates to install. To finish, click on the OK button.
Internet Explorer is a great browser to use and embarks a lot of improvements in security, performance, privacy, and standards support. However, in case you still want to remove it, then how to uninstall internet explorer, is not at all a rocket science. Just follow the above-listed steps and simply get rid of Internet Explorer on your system.
It is recommended that before removing Internet Explorer, you do have another browser on your computer. Go for the deletion, only in case, you cannot withstand Internet Explorer on your system.