People have realized the importance of leading a healthy lifestyle and have started working towards getting fit. Gym is the first thing that comes to one’s mind when it comes to toning down the body and staying fit. There are millions of gyms across the globe, which aim at helping people build a fitness routine in their everyday life.
Healthy eating habits have also kicked in and a lot of health-conscious people are avoiding junk food and changing as vegans or healthy eaters. People have realized the need to stay fit and started enrolling in gyms. These gyms aim at helping its customers to tone down and stay fit.
Planet Fitness also has the same intention to help people get fit. It is a famous gym franchise, which offers low monthly payments. It requires a contract, which limits cancellation and it also provides a fee schedule for early cancellation. The best way of cancelling Planet Fitness membership is by writing to the Membership Services department.
There are a lot of people who take Planet Fitness membership and after a few months they realize it is not for them and they it. Though cancelling a gym membership is not good news, many people feel that they can instead enroll in to some sport and engage in some sort of physical activity. So this is why in today’s article, we show you how to cancel planet fitness membership.
How to Cancel Planet Fitness Membership?
For all of those who are not sure about how to cancel planet fitness membership, here are some things that you need to pay attention to.
#1. Finding the Contract
Even though you might have enrolled with a no signup fee scheme, you still have signed an agreement, which designates how you can cancel the membership and in what situations you may be allowed to waive off the cancellation fees.
#2. Read the Contract
The contract lays out the terms and conditions, and you should be aware of it. Check if you have a monthly contract or an annual one, whether you paid monthly or annually; it is likely that you signed a one year contract. Check when your contract is up. It will be easier to wait for a month or two until the contract is up.
#3. Be Attentive to the Billing Cycle
Generally, for a monthly contract, one must cancel the membership before the 10th of the month, as you are usually billed before 20th, and the company also needs time to process your request. For an annual contract, you need to cancel before the 27th of the month prior to when you are billed.
Always think of a fitness contract just like a leasing contract, giving 30 days notice and paying fees for early cancellation are usual with gyms.
#4. Get the Gym Fees Waived
If you can provide a written proof that you are injured or that you must relocate out of range of a Planet Fitness, you can have the fees waived.
If you are injured, try getting a note from your doctor confirming that you will not be able to use the gym facilities. If you are relocating to a new place, it must be at least 40 kms away from any Planet Fitness location. Request your employer to write a relocation letter, and ensure to map out the distance before mentioning where you will be moving.
If the above-stated situations do not apply to you, you will be asked to pay the cancellation fee. However, if you have a solid reason for cancelling the membership, you can escape paying the fee. But be very sure to have written statement of your situation as nobody just takes one’s word these days.
You should have your membership identification number, personal information like your address, driving license number or your date of birth. Write a single page document requesting to cancel the membership. Ensure that it is in accordance with the contract’s specifications.
Specify in your letter that you want the cancellation fee to be waived off if you are eligible and state the reason. Include all your personal information; you need to mention the last four digits of your social security number and your driving license number and then sign on it.
Here are some important things you need to do when you cancel the membership
- You can call the respective department requesting for a meeting to cancel your membership.
- Try meeting up with a representative of Planet Fitness. Tell them that you want to cancel your membership and provide them a written documentation. Once the cancellation is done. Have a copy of the letter with the signature of the representative. It will be useful in future, if they ever get back asking you to pay the fee.
- Make arrangements to cancel the future monthly payments. Clear off any sort of cancellation fees so that you can be sure that your membership is fully cancelled.
- Note down the name and number of the representative; this is important in case you get into trouble after canceling, like if you are charged a huge amount all of a sudden, you can reach out to the representative for help.
- Check your bank statement to ensure that you are not being charged the membership fee on a monthly basis even after cancelling the membership. If you find that you are being charged, then contact planet fitness immediately and fix this issue as soon as possible.
- In case the gym is still asking you to pay the fee, provide them the written document of cancellation to prove that you actually cancelled the membership.
These are the few things you can do in order to cancel the planet fitness membership. It is of utmost importance to read the terms and conditions when you sign up for something like this in future as you might be charged hefty amounts in case you fail to live up to the terms and conditions mentioned in the contract.
And with this, we come to the end of this article!